Soccer is a great opportunity for kids to learn positive life lessons: teamwork, commitment, perseverance and sportsmanship.
The SAM Recreational and Select leagues want to encourage good sportsmanship at all levels and we are excited to announce Fair Play Please, the new SAM Sportsmanship program!! This program is the beginning of a larger effort to foster an environment that encourages not only player development but also ensures that all players, parents, coaches and referees are treated with respect.
The goal of Fair Play Please is to recognize those teams that demonstrate a high level of positive play and respect for others. The program will be implemented immediately with the spring 2018 season.
How Are the Winning Teams Selected?
At the end of each spring and fall season, SAM coaches will be asked by league management to nominate one team in their division that should be recognized for good sportsmanship towards their teammates, opponents, coaches and referees. (Teams will not be able to nominate themselves). The winners will be selected based on coaches’ votes and league management observations during the season.
What Award Winners Will Get
- Every player on the winning team receives a SAM “Fair Play Please” t-shirt
- The winning team’s coach will receive a recognition plaque.
- Winning teams will be featured on our website and social media channels!
Coaches, we ask that you…
- Encourage all members of your team’s families to support sportsmanship, fair play, and positivity at all games and practices.
- Please be thinking about the sportsmanship of the teams against which you have already played this season. Make some notes about those games and at your upcoming games to help you make your nominations toward the end of the season.
- Consider strategizing with the opposing coach at the beginning of each game about ways in which you can collaborate during the game to ensure that every player has success and finishes the match feeling good about himself or herself.
We thank all of the SAM family for helping to make our league the standard for great competition, great fields AND great sportsmanship.