What is 4v4 and what does it look like?
Each game field will look like the diagram below. 2 - 4v4 fields set out, side by side.
How do we manage and facilitate the 4v4 games?
1. The coach warm-ups the players before the game.
2. Each coach will place 4 players on each field for a total of 8 players with his or her subs waiting in the middle of the fields (player and coach area above).
3. The game is played in 4 - 10minute quarters.
4. Subs are made on the fly and players can play on either field.
The New 4V4 “NEW” Ball Method
This “NEW BALL” method will be implemented in Spring 2019 for all 4v4 games during the soccer season.
The “NEW BALL” method benefits:
· Faster skill development and increased enjoyment. A study by Richmond Hill SA in Georgia said this method more than doubled the number of touches each player received per game.
· More actual playing time. Indiana youth soccer found in a 7 minute quarter, the ball was in play for 4 minutes using the traditional method. The “new ball” method allows the ball to be in play for 6minutes and 30 seconds.
· Speeds up the game and produce’s more opportunities and excitement for fun.
· This method can be used to get non-assertive players involved by rolling the new ball to those players.
· Can be beneficial if the game is lopsided to try and balance the game.
Emphasis is on playing, enjoyment, sportsmanship, and development.
· Game is less complicated and easier to understand.
No · side-line instructions from coaches or parents. Positive Cheering only.
SO HOW DOES IT WORK……..
This “new ball” method begins with the coach rolling the ball into a neutral space on the field.
Whenever the ball goes out of bounds or a goal is scored one of the 2 coaches announces “new ball” and rolls it into play. No kick-offs (even after a goal), No throw-ins, No goal kicks, No corners, and No free kicks.
Finally, all substitutions are done on the “fly”. When a player gets tired or the coach needs to sub, the player runs off the field and a new player runs on. No stoppage. A second coach may help with this aspect if the head coach wants assistance.